The first lemon groves were planted between the Tenth and Twelfth centuries on the coastal territory between Positano and Cetara in “squares” often fenced off by factory walls.
Their cultivation changed the landscape providing the coastline with a relevant part of the environment and colors that make it recognizable in the world. The terraces were irrigated through a network of uncovered masonry gutters that fed the “peschiere,” large tanks built in the farmland.
Cultivation techniques have remained the same, the plants grow in a naturally globular shape. The plants are subjected to chestnut wood scaffolding, consisting of vertical and horizontal piling, on which special covers are spread every season, which serve both the function of shelter from weather adversity and delaying the ripening of the fruit.
Even today, plantations are made on typical terraces, surrounded by retaining walls.
Several years ago, the lemon of the coast obtained the prestigious PGI recognition of quality and typicality.
The European Community has registered lemons produced in the territory of the municipalities of Atrani, Amalfi, Cetara, Conca dei Marini, Furore, Maiori, Minori, Positano, Praiano, Ravello, Scala, Tramonti and Vietri sul Mare in the Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) register. The delimited area is internationally known as the Amalfi Coast. This regulation was subsequently confirmed by a subsequent Commission Regulation No. 1356/2001.